- Continue to build intimacy -- both sexually and emotionally -- throughout your marriage.
- Create passion for life and for one another.
- Forgive one another. Don't hang on to past baggage and past hurts. Be willing to let go and to move forward with your lives.
- Continue to be committed to each other and celebrate your sense of commitment.
- Like one another and be friends with each other.
- Be open to compromise.
- Have fun together, laugh together, and use humor in healthy ways.
- Comfort, encourage, and affirm one another.
- Be able to stand on your own feet as a couple and not be dependent either financially or emotionally on either of your parents.
- Respect one another's need for privacy and space.
- Parent together.
- Deal with a crisis and adversity together.
- Fight fair.
- Accept your differences and don't try to change your spouse.
- Keep romance alive in your marriage.
In our busy lives we tend to forget what's really important when trying to keep up with deadlines and busy schedules, finding a good balance between the kids, the job and our spouses is really crucial.
Watching my grand-parents who celebrated their golden jubilee not too long ago, i've learned that your spouse may probably be the only thing you'll have left when you get old. You eventually retire from your job, the kids grow up and leave home and once again its just the two of you.
So let's be determined today to make our marriages work, after all,happy marriages produce happy children, happy children grow up to be happy adults and the cycle just keeps going around.