Saturday 6 July 2013

Traditional Marriage

... Carrying the palmwine in my hands and walking around looking for the man i was going to spend the rest of my life with, i trembled. A million thoughts were going through my head and not one of them steadied my hands. Am i making the right decision? Is this the man I'm destined to marry? Will he be good to me? Are we good friends? Would he cheat on me? These were a few of the thoughts that ran through my head as i walked through the cheering crowds, most of whom were men beckoning on me to hand them the wine i was carrying. And then i saw him, just sitting there watching me with a big smile on his face, also calling on me to hand him the wine, at that instant, all my fears vanish.  He may not be perfect, but we both love each other and that was all that mattered to us. Our gazes meet and he never takes off his eyes. Even when i knelt to give him his drink, he never once looked away and when i saw the look on his face, it was that of pride, happiness and contentment.

I cried my eyes out when it was time to leave, i clung to my mum and didn't want to let go. She had to push me into the car before other people saw me embarrass myself. They say a girls wedding day is supposed to be her happiest, but at that very moment, sadness engulfed me. When planning to get married, you never really think of the aftermath, you only think of the D-day and plan towards making it perfect. When its time to say goodbye to your family, it hits you that from then onwards your allegiance now lies with a new person and not the people you are accustomed to. You also realize that you would now have to spend time with the in-laws and trust me when i say this, its every girls nightmare.

Driving away from my folks place, i looked back one last time at the place i had called home for 26 years, and the tears flowed freely. I looked at my new husband sitting beside me, he gave me a warm reassuring smile and drew me into his arms, i smiled back, snuggled into his arms and leaned back to enjoy the ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment